Sean Combs Might Get a Presidential Lifeline from Trump

Sean Combs Might Get a Presidential Lifeline from Trump
  • calendar_today August 16, 2025
  • Business

Sean Combs Might Get a Presidential Lifeline from Trump

Donald Trump is back in the news, not for his legal issues, but for what he might do for Sean “Diddy” Combs in the wake of the rapper’s conviction last month. While appearing on Finnerty on Friday on Newsmax on August 1, the former president was asked whether he might issue a presidential pardon for Combs.

Back in early July, Combs, who started the Bad Boy Records record label, was found guilty on a single federal count (transportation with the intent to engage in prostitution), though he was found not guilty of more serious charges, such as sex trafficking and racketeering. The trial itself was a saga that went on for over seven weeks, with testimony and accusations flying all around. One of the most talked-about witnesses was singer Cassie Ventura, who alleged that Combs abused and trafficked her during their former relationship. Combs has vehemently denied the claims, of course, and has stated that he is innocent.

In response to a question about a pardon, Trump’s answer was noncommittal but suggested that he was giving the idea some thought. “Well, he was essentially, I guess, sort of half-innocent,” Trump said. “He’s still in jail or something, but he was celebrating a victory. But I guess it wasn’t as good a victory.”

Trump’s response also showed that the two men were at one time very close. “We were very friendly. I got along with him great,” Trump said. “He used to like me a lot. I think when I ran for politics, that relationship busted up. … I would certainly look at the facts. If I think somebody was mistreated, whether they like me or don’t like me, it wouldn’t have any impact on me.”

The Legal Case and Trump’s Other Comments

This was not the first time that Trump has been questioned about a potential pardon for Combs. In May, Trump was in the Oval Office holding a press briefing when Fox News White House correspondent Peter Doocy asked Trump the same question about the possibility of a pardon. Trump then gave the same noncommittal answer, saying that he would “look at the facts.” But at the time, he also made it very clear that whether Combs liked or disliked Trump would not have any effect on a decision.

“I haven’t spoken to him in years,” Trump said. “But if I think somebody was mistreated, whether they like me or don’t like me, it wouldn’t have any impact on me.”

Sean “Diddy” Combs is still, of course, in the middle of his legal case. As mentioned above, he was found guilty of one federal charge, but that does not mean that he is entirely in the clear. The charges were brought on by a federal investigation that culminated in a conviction last month in July. The charge is serious, and he could be sentenced to up to 20 years in prison. He is currently scheduled to be sentenced on October 3.

Trump’s name has been in the news quite a bit in recent years, with legal battles over his real estate and government records. Trump has shown no compunction in jumping into other celebrity legal cases, like that of singer Joe Exotic.

The trial of Sean “Diddy” Combs has brought many issues to light, from celebrity criminal justice to presidential pardon powers and how, if at all, personal relationships might impact such decisions. Trump’s public comments about Combs have added one more element to this media frenzy. While the relationship between Trump and Combs is a little over the hill, Trump is at least willing to at least give the situation a close look before moving forward.

“He was celebrating a victory,” Trump said, uring his Newsmax interview. “But I guess it wasn’t as good of victory.”

A clip of Trump’s full comments during the Finnerty interview was posted on X, which was previously known as Twitter. The video has drawn reactions from pundits, hip-hop fans, and legal experts. It remains to be seen if Trump will do anything with a possible pardon. In the meantime, all eyes will be on Combs when he is sentenced in October.