- calendar_today August 6, 2025
.
Nine teenagers have been arrested in the fatal shooting of 16-year-old Trey Dean Wright of Johnsonville, South Carolina. Florence County Sheriff’s Office deputies announced the arrests as part of an ongoing investigation into the June 24 shooting, saying a group of young men “started an argument over a girl” with Wright before pulling over and opening fire on him.
Authorities say the shooting may have been partially captured on video by one of the suspects. The fatal shooting, as well as the months of investigation that followed, have left Wright’s family in Florence County reeling and struggling to understand how such violence can come from a disagreement over a romantic rival.
The sheriff’s office first arrived at First Neck Road and discovered Wright’s body around 4 p.m. that day. He had been shot multiple times. The rural road in rural South Carolina is about 45 miles west of Myrtle Beach. On June 25, the Sheriff’s Office arrested the first suspect, 19-year-old Devan Scott Raper of Conway.
The office also announced that he had fired the fatal shots, pulling the gun after an argument with Wright that had escalated over several minutes. Prosecutors would later charge Wright’s girlfriend, 17-year-old Gianna Kistenmacher of Myrtle Beach, with accessory before the fact. According to court documents, she and a group of other teens were allegedly trying to bait Wright into the area where Raper and others were waiting. Authorities said Raper had a gun and had already threatened to shoot Wright when the two met.
“The courthouse is like a routine of driving me crazy, and this bond court and stuff is driving me crazy because I don’t even have time to sit down and think half the time o,n top of me losing my precious baby,” Wright’s mother, Ashley Lindsey, told Fox News Digital. “He’s been dead since the 24th. Nothing’s changed.”
Raper and Kistenmacher have been arrested and charged, but several others were later indicted as the investigation continued over the coming weeks. Florence County Sheriff’s Office officials say that several teens helped lure Wright into the area of First Neck Road so Raper, who had the gun and who had been previously threatened to shoot Wright, could kill him.
Major Michael Nunn of the Florence County Sheriff’s Office told WBTW-TV that several suspects had “complicit in the meeting and attempted murder that occurred that day in June. “They were complicit in bringing the armed codefendant, Raper, to the incident location and knowing that there would be a confrontation,” Nunn told the news outlet. “They knew that Raper had presented a firearm to the victim and made threats to shoot him, according to the arrest warrants.”
South Carolina law gives prosecutors the authority to charge children as adults in the case of serious crimes such as murder. Officials confirmed that five of the teens were being charged under that rule and said that charges for the others were forthcoming. “The hand of one being the hand of all is part of South Carolina law as well, so that’s the basis of the charge for each of those individuals,” Nunn told WBTW-TV.
Three additional Myrtle Beach-area teens were later arrested and charged with murder, in addition to Raper. They include 18-year-old Hunter Kendall and 18-year-old Corrine Belviso, both of Myrtle Beach, and 17-year-old Sydney Kearns of Myrtle Beach. Prosecutors said their involvement had been substantial enough that the murder charges applied directly to them.
Sheriff T.J. Joye of the Florence County Sheriff’s Office later told reporters that the shooting was caused by a dispute between two men, both of whom were friends of Wright. “They had issues with each other, and it was over a female,” Joye said. “The sad thing is, you got a 16-year-old who lost his life. You’ve got a 19-year-old who is going to be in jail the rest of his life. Over what?”
The arrests have left two suspects in custody with a murder charge, and several others still facing arraignment. Raper is in custody with a murder charge and a charge of possession of a weapon during a violent crime and faces trial without bond. Kendall is in custody on a murder charge, and a trial date has not yet been set. Belviso and Kearns each posted a $20,000 surety bond last week and were released.
The Florence County Sheriff’s Office has not made additional information about the cases public. Prosecutors also did not respond to requests for further comment or information about how long these court proceedings are likely to take or what evidence will be used to try these cases. Wright’s family, however, is still processing the loss.
His mother, Ashley Lindsey, has continued to post about her son’s life and his death on social media, as well as her frustration with the months of court proceedings that she must endure. To her, the case is made all the more upsetting by the fact that her son’s girlfriend and many of his friends are some of those charged with his murder. The shooting has also led to questions about teen bullying, pressure, and firearms in the small community.




